After the birth or adoption of a child, you may need to update or change the following information:

Add your child to your health, dental and vision insurance:

  • Parental insurance will cover your newborn's initial medical expenses while the baby is still in the hospital, but you must take action to continue coverage.
  • Complete and submit the Benefits Change Form PDF Document to the Benefits Division within 31 days of your child's birth. A copy of the state issued birth certificate is required.
  • If you have adopted a child, appropriate court documents must be submitted with the Benefits Change Form PDF Document to the Benefits Division within 31 days of the adoption.
  • You cannot change the health or dental plan in which you are enrolled.
  • Insurance premiums are not prorated. Regardless of the date your child is born or adopted, you are financially responsible for the entire month of insurance premiums.

Enroll your child in life insurance:

  • Enroll in dependent child life insurance with coverage up to $25,000 in $5,000 increments. If you have already enrolled other children in dependent child life insurance, then your new child will be added automatically.

Use a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) to help cover childcare expenses:

  • Both you and your spouse must be employed full-time (or be full-time students) to be eligible for the Dependent Care FSA.
  • Employee is not eligible for the Dependent Care FSA until he/she has returned to work full time. At the time of return to work, a second Benefits Change Form PDF Document will need to be completed to enroll in the Dependent Care FSA.
  • If your gross household income is not greater than $100,000, you may be eligible for the Employer Match. To apply use the Dependent Care University Match Application PDF Document and include your most recently filed 1040 federal tax form.