The purpose of the Intake policy is to provide the fraternities and sororities of the Northwestern University fraternity and sorority community, their Advisors, and prospective members with a source of information regarding membership intake. Chapter members, advisors, and the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life (OFSL) will work together to ensure a successful and positive experience for all involved.
In order for OFSL staff to assist chapters with the membership intake process and avoid potential problems, chapters must adhere to the following guidelines if they are to conduct intake at Northwestern University.
Meetings and Documentation Checklist
All documents supplied to OFSL will be kept confidential, and only shared with proper officials on an as-needed basis. In the event that the chapter must edit information on any document, a chapter official must contact OFSL to provide up-to-date information.
The following meetings/documents should be completed PRIOR to intake activity:
- One chapter member (either President or Intake Coordinator) must meet with a representative in OFSL. To schedule a meeting, please call (847) 491-4522. The chapter President should bring any required paperwork that needs to be signed at this meeting.
- Notice of Intention to Conduct Membership Intake Process Form(.doc)
- Verification of Prospective Members(.doc) (within 48 hours after interest meeting)
- Prospective members are required to meet with OFSL advisor prior to start of education process
- All interested members should complete a Grade Release Form (available in OFSL)
In addition to these expectations, chapter presidents must maintain active communication and meetings with their OFSL staff liason. (schedule determined by president and advisor). The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life has the right to not approve membership intake for a chapter until they fulfill all requirements.
New Member Presentations
As of fall 2011, organizations may refer to the act of presenting new members to a campus as a New Member Presentation or Neophyte Show. The use of 'Probate' is prohibited both in terminology and in practice.
Individuals who are participating in these shows must be INITIATED members of the organization and must present themselves to the audience.
The shows must be appropriate according to University standards, respectful to all chapters and individuals and not violate the University non-discrimination clause with its references. The show must also adhere to all national organization policies.
The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life must be notified 24 hours in advance of any show. A staff member in OFSL will contact University Police to make them aware of the presentation if it will be held outdoors.