Tech A-B Wing Infill

Project Status

Construction start: May 2017
Completion: May 2019

Project Description & Statistics

The Technological Institute located at 2145 Sheridan Rd in Evanston, IL, (built in 1942) has more than 800,000 square feet of classrooms, offices, laboratories and research facilities. Designed by Holabird and Root, the facility is one of the largest academic buildings in the world. It houses the Robert R. McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science as well as the departments of Chemistry and of Physics and Astronomy, which are part of the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences. The Lannon stone and Bedford limestone building is embellished at the entrance by Edgar Miller’s sculptural reliefs on scientific and engineering themes.

Flad Architects have prepared contract documents for an addition to the Technological Institute (Tech) that will accommodate expanding program needs for Nuance, the Dravid Group, Robotics and the Rogers Group. The approximately 45,000 SF six-story addition will be located on the north side of Tech between the existing A & B wings.

The wing will include a multi-story commons that will provide natural daylight to areas in the existing building and the new addition. The project will also include a new elevator.

Construction Site Live Web Cam


Project Team

Project Management

Bonnie Humphrey, Director Facilities Management Design & Construction
David Stone, Associate Director for Design and Construction

Architect, Engineers & Consultants

Architect: Flad Architects
Site preparation: Riley Construction

General Contractor

Pepper Construction

Contact information

Teri Wright, Project Manager
Northwestern University
Facilities Management Design & Construction
2020 Ridge Avenue, Suite 250
Evanston, IL 60208
Phone: 847.491.5271