Fulbright Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad


The US Department of Education provides Fulbright Hays grants to colleges and universities to fund individual doctoral students to conduct research in other countries in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of 6 to 12 months. Proposals focusing on Western Europe are not eligible.


Must be a citizen or national of the United States or is a permanent resident of the United States. Must be admitted to candidacy in a doctoral program in modern foreign languages and area studies at that institution. The applicant must plan for a teaching career in the United States upon graduation. Possess adequate skills in the language(s) necessary to carry out the dissertation project.

Award Amount

$15,000 - $60,000