Charles W. David is the author of several works in medieval history and was a leader in academic research libraries. He earned a doctorate from Harvard in 1918 and taught at the University of Washing and Bryn Mawr College. In 1940, David became a Professor of History and the first full-time Director of Libraries at the University of Pennsylvania, where he served for 15 years until his retirement. During his retirement he established the Eleutherian Mills Historical Library in Delaware and the Maritime Library at Mystic Seaport, as well as serving as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of West Chester State Teachers College. David passed away in 1984.