General Emergency Procedures
- Report the threat immediately to University Police at 911. Do not use a cell phone since a cell phone signal can be used to set off an explosive.
- Evacuate the area calmly; follow evacuation procedures.
- Take cover under a desk or table, protecting as much of your body as possible, especially your head and neck.
- Stay away from windows and objects that may fall.
- Do not run outside.
- If outdoors, stay in an open area.
- After shaking stops, evacuate to your designated evacuation area.
- Calmly and quietly walk to the nearest exit.
- Do not use elevators.
- Follow instructions of emergency personnel.
- Call 911 and report the location and nature of the fire.
- Activate the closest fire alarm.
- Evacuate to the designated evacuation area.
- Do not enter any flooded area, i.e., basement, first floor, vaulted area, etc.
- If the flooding is minor, call Facilities Management at 847-491-5201, and report the location and nature of leak.
- Dial 911 and report the nature of the illness or injury and the location.
- Notify a supervisor or other person in charge.
- Stay with the victim until help arrives if you are not in immediate danger.
- Take cover at the lowest level of the building. If any underground shelter is not available, move to an interior room or hallway on the lowest floor and get under a sturdy piece of furniture. Avoid places with wide-span roofs such as auditoriums, cafeterias, large hallways, or shopping malls.
- Stay away from windows.
- If outdoors take cover, if possible, inside a building. If shelter is not available or there is no time to get indoors, lie in a ditch or low-lying area or crouch near a building.
- After tornado passes, remain alert for signs of additional tornadoes and/or flash flooding.