CAPS Initiatives to be Aware of
- Executive Director John Dunkle is a member of the Division of Student Affairs interdepartmental team that assists students in crisis.
- Work has started on a 2 year renovation project (including construction of a LEED certified addition) for CAPS main office in Evanston (633 Emerson Street) that will expand space available for both counseling and outreach services.
- CAPS Executive Director, Dr. Dunkle is participating in research toward suicide prevention called the Big Ten Suicide Study.
- A confidential electronic charting system allows CAPS on-call staff on both campuses to access client charts through a secure server when students are in crisis.
- CAPS newly revised website allows students with questions about services to access information online.
- CAPS participation in Eating Disorders Awareness Week raised awareness on campus, in addition to collecting blue jeans for charity.
- CAPS is working with Health Education to pilot “Back on Track”, an early intervention program for students who have suffered a negative consequence because of alcohol or substance use.
- CAPS new triage system is dramatically reducing wait times for intakes. The program has been so successful, that Dr. Abakoui has presented a “how to” workshop at a national conference on our system.
- Dr. Huang was invited by the Taiwan Department of Education to develop a training program for mental health professionals working at newly created Family Life Centers to decrease relationship violence and divorce.