Helping a Student in Need

What Should I Do With Someone Who Appears Troubled?

  • Listen. Do not rush to fix, advise, correct, or disagree--just listen.
  • Empathize. In other words, try to put yourself in their shoes.
  • Normalize. Refer to the normal needs everyone has during stressful times, to talk with someone she or he can trust.
  • Remember your role. Your job is to provide support and to make referrals when support is not enough. Do not get more involved than feels comfortable or appropriate.

If you are having difficulty approaching a student and would like support or consultation, please feel free to call CAPS a 847-491-2151 and talk with a counselor.

If you speak with a student who would like to talk with someone at CAPS, they just need to call 847-491-2151. They will be given a same-day phone appointment with a counselor. The counselor will speak with the student for about 15 minutes and collect some information about the student and his/her needs. The counselor will then schedule the student for an intake appointment at CAPS, a same-day crisis appointment at CAPS, or help the student to connect with another service on campus or in the community depending upon the situation. This procedure is the same for the Evanston and Chicago campuses.

If you think a student is out of control, violent, and/or is imminently a danger to self and/or others, then immediate intervention is needed. Such examples would include, but are not limited to, times when a student threatens suicide or homicide or when a student physically harms him or her self and/or others. For these situations, please refer to What If a Student Is in Crisis and Suicide Prevention Training and Resources.