Corporate Card (Amex)
Treasury Operations is pleased to announce that it will once again offer the American Express Corporate Card to be used for business travel-related expenses.
What are the Advantages?
The NU American Express Corporate Card will have a number of significant benefits to Faculty and Staff:
- No Annual Fee
- Membership Rewards
- Paperless / Online Account Management
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Baggage Insurance
- Customer Service—24 hours a day, 7 days a week—Toll Free 800-528-2122
Who is Eligible?
Anyone who incurs business-related expenses can have a card issued to them with managerial approval.
How do I Apply?
Before you apply, please review the Northwestern University travel policy.
Once familiar with the travel policy, complete the Data and Approval Form and Card Agreement Form. If you are within the Feinberg School of Medicine, complete the FSM Data and Approval Form (FOR FSM USE ONLY).
Where Do I Send the Completed Forms?
Once these forms are filled out and signed off by a manager, please scan and e-mail to email@example.com and also inter-office original documents to Joseph Stolz in Treasury Operations at 619 Clark St. in Evanston for processing.
Once you Receive the Card
Upon receiving your card, please activate it using the Online Activation and Registration or Telephone Activation and Online Registration.
Online Activation and Registration:
Upon receiving the card, please review the terms and conditions of the Card and activate it online.
Once activated, you must also register your account on Manage Your Card Account (MYCA) and, if you choose to, to enroll in Membership Rewards. Additional details regarding MYCA are below.
Telephone Activation and Online Registration:
Upon receiving the card, please call the telephone number listed on the sticker located on the front of the card and follow the prompts to activate the card. Once activated, you must also register your account on Manage Your Card Account (MYCA) and, if you choose to, to enroll in Membership Rewards. Additional details regarding MYCA are below.
If you experience any problems during activation, please call American Express at 1-800-528-2122.
Manage Your Card Account (MYCA) Online
After activating your new AMEX Corporate Card, you must register with American Express online through Manage Your Card Account (MYCA). Paper statements are not available. Please visit www.americanexpress.com/checkyourbill to register your account.
MYCA provides 24/7 access to
- Account Information
- Billing Activity
- Statement View / Downloads
- Setting-up of alerts
- Inquiry Initiation
- Registration for Membership Rewards
- Redemption/transferring of points
- Global Travel Tip Sheet Library which is an easy-to-use resource that includes over 100 travel tip sheets cardmembers can download and use when traveling for business. Each tip sheet contains AMEX merchants in particular categories such as hotels and restaurants, as well as information regarding navigating transportation.
Membership Rewards® Program
If you also have a personal American Express card and are enrolled in Membership Rewards, the Northwestern AMEX Corporate Card can be registered to the same Membership Rewards account. If you had a previous AMEX Corporate Card, you will need to update your Membership Rewards account accordingly, request to transfer points, etc.
For assistance in enrolling in Membership Rewards or to manage your existing Membership Rewards account, please contact the Membership Rewards Customer Service Team at 800-238-8087, option 3.
Monthly Billing Statement and Expense Reports
By signing into Manage Your Card Account (MYCA) at www.americanexpress.com/checkyourbill to view your statement, registered card members can receive an e-mail notification when their billing statement is ready. Other alerts, such as when a balance exceeds a particular threshold, can also be set-up to help manage the account.
The cardholder is personally responsible for the reconciliation of all business-related transactions and timely submissions of all reports for expense reimbursements.
What You Should Know About the Corporate Card
- Your American Express Corporate Card is a University issued card; however, liability of payment to American Express is the sole responsibility of each individual card member. All charges, fees, and penalties are the sole responsibility of the cardholder.
- To help the US Government fight terrorism and money laundering, Federal law requires credit card companies to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person that opens an account. Along with your name and address, American Express uses the social security number as a unique identification number to comply with Federal requirements. For more information about AMEX’s privacy protection guidelines, please visit http://www.americanexpress.com/privacy
- Northwestern University’s Treasury Operations department handles all personal information (especially SSNs) very carefully and this information will only be shared with American Express at the initial card application. When corresponding any personal information, please inter-office or fax these documents to the Treasury Operations department at 619 Clark St. in Evanston or fax to (847) 491-4988.
- The American Express Corporate Card is to be used strictly for business travel-related expenses. This is a charge card and not a revolving-credit card.
- Obtaining the NU American Express Corporate Card does not affect your personal credit score unless you fail to pay your balance. Please check the terms and conditions of the card before you enroll.
- Credit limits are established by management on the “Data and Approval Form”. Available credit limits range from $1,000 to $10,000.
- Cash via ATM or cash back is not allowed.
- The purpose of the AMEX Corporate Card is to allow NU employees to separate business travel and expenses from personal expenses at no cost. NU’s procurement card is, by contrast, not for travel and entertainment expenses. The procurement card is to be used by authorized staff to pay for products and services that might otherwise run through Accounts Payable. For more info on the Mastercard Pro-Card, please see the Procurement Card page.
- For assistance and published procedures regarding submitting an expense report, see the Expenses by Submission & Workflow Status document.
- If you have a questions regarding the application process or Northwestern’s policies regarding the AMEX Corporate Card, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and place ”AMEX” in the subject line. For all other questions, please contact the American Express customer service number at 1-800-528-2122.