Caps & Gowns
Ordering Caps & Gowns
In partnership with Financial Aid, Student Enrichment Services will be covering the cost of a cap and gown for students with financial need, as determined by the Office of Financial Aid. Students who qualify for this resource should have received an email from Student Enrichment Services with specific ordering details. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for students to order their caps and gowns is May 19, 2017.
Tips for Accurate Ordering
- Be sure to select the appropriate school of enrollment and degree. The Graduate School (TGS) and School of Professional Studies (SPS) candidates must select the correct degree to receive the appropriate color of tassel and hood.
- Within all other schools there is no distinction among a school’s degrees regarding tassel or hood color, and in some cases degrees may be identified only as bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral.
- Candidates receiving degrees from two schools must select one degree and may arrange for a second tassel or hood at the time of cap and gown pick up.
- To Purchase rather than rent regalia, please email NURegalia@gmail.com.
- A designee may pick up regalia with a printed consent of authorization from the student
- Any additional questions should be directed to Helen LeDonne at NURegalia@gmail.com.
Purple rental gowns custom designed for Northwestern and featuring the University crest are the standard regalia and must be worn by all participating candidates. Tassels feature the Northwestern seal signet and are worn on the left side at all times.
The gown is made of 100% polyester. Please contact Helen LeDonne directly for any allergy concerns you may have associated with this fabric.
Bachelor’s degree regalia include a souvenir stole. Advanced degree candidates wear hoods. The lining of the Northwestern hood is purple and gold, and the color of the velvet border of the hood indicates the academic area. Please see the School Convocation pages for tassel and hood border colors.
Candidates may not alter or decorate their regalia in any way or wear additional articles not directly related to academic merit. Doing so may interfere with their ability to participate in events including Commencement, Convocation, and any hooding ceremony.
- Tuesday, June 13th 10am-7pm Norris Undergraduates
- Wednesday, June 14th 10am-7pm Norris Graduates
- Thursday, June 15th 10am-2pm Norris (special circumstances only)
Return of Gowns
All degree candidates may retain their cap and keepsake tassel. Bachelor’s degree candidates may also retain their souvenir stole.
Gowns and graduate hoods must be returned following the graduate’s final ceremony. Locations of gown returns will be available at the time of regalia pick-up in June.