"Journeys-Reading & Writing about Travel" - Freshman Seminar
- Jeanne Elizabeth Herrick - 847/491-4560 - Kresge 2-265
- Allison Residential Comm 1021 - TuTh 9:30AM - 10:50AM
- Most of us like to travel or would like to travel. Some of us get to travel, and some of us have even traveled to get to the US as immigrants or as international students. But all of us can travel through travel writing. In this course, we will trace the history and development of travel writing from the records of early explorers like Marco Polo to the heyday of British travel writing in the 1930’s by authors like Robert Byron and to the popular travel writing of today. We will also explore issues of how journeys affect the traveler as well as how they affect the places and people of travel destinations.
- The primary method of teaching will be class discussions. Students will prepare for these discussions by writing some summaries and response papers. Students will also have at least individual conferences with the instructor to discuss their writing.
- Writing will account for 80% of the course grade, while the remaining 20% will be based on students’ demonstrated engagement in the course through participation in class discussions, workshops, and exercises.
NUMBER OF WRITING ASSIGNMENTS AND THEIR LENGTHS:
Students will write three papers, revising each at least twice.
Essay One — 4-6 pages
Essay Two — 5-7 pages
Essay Three — 6-8 pages (based on outside research)
There will be no final exam. In addition to the three formal papers, students will write several one or two page summaries and/or responses to readings and a few writing exercises, some which will be written in class.
- We use Casey Blanton’s Travel Writing: The Self and the World as our primary text, but there will also be a course reader with selections including writing from James Boswell, Freya Stark, Lawrence of Arabia, Mark Twain, Bruce Chatwin, Peter Matthiessen, Tom Cahill, Bill Bryson, and even David Sedaris. Students will also be asked to read one book of travel writing of their choice.
- No P/N option for this section
- Enrollment Requirements: Reserved for Freshmen and Sophomores
Add Consent: Department Consent Required
Drop Consent: Department Consent Required
Overview of class
Class Materials (Required)
Current as of 05/03/13 01:02:58 PM