International Student Career Advice
At UCS, we recognize that international students have unique employment needs and often have extra steps to pursuing work off-campus. If you are a Northwestern University international student and will be pursuing employment in the U.S. before or upon graduation, UCS staff can assist you through individual appointments and our resources provided.
- Exploring Career Choices
- Gaining Employment in the U.S.
- Marketing Yourself
- Interviewing in the U.S.
- Preparing to Work in the U.S.
International Student Resources
International Students: CPT and the Internship Search (Webinar by UCS & the International Office)
- Going Global - Located within CareerCat under the "Jump to" menu - Contains a database of organizations who have applied to H-1B Visas and other resources including U.S. City Guides and International Country Guides.
- H1base.com - Offers information on obtaining a U.S. Work Visa.
- H1VisaJobs.com - Contains a database of American firms, all over the U.S., in all disciplines, who have known openings, are willing to, and actually offered H-1B jobs to international professionals. There is a fee to gain access to the database.
- Immigration updates from Masuda Funai
- InternationalStudent.com - Started by a group of international students living in New York City with the goal of helping other students deal with American immigration authorities and education system.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security - Information on Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- U.S. Department of Labor's Certification Data Disclosure (click on FLC Case Data)- This site will help you find out which companies applied for H-1B visas for one or more new employees in the past few years. This will give you some ideas of employers open to having international employees working for them. Please note that you can search by year, employer and/or state.