Choosing the Right School
Knowing your academic goals and developing a strategy for achieving them will help as you explore programs. Thoroughly research the schools that offer programs of interest, keeping these questions in mind:
- Does the program cover my areas of interest?
- Are assistantships/fellowships available for students enrolled in this program?
- Who hires the people that graduate from this program?
- Will I grow personally and professionally from attending this program?
- Do they have experiential education built into the program?
- How accessible are the faculty to students?
- Are the professors well-known in the field?
- What is the relationship between students and faculty?
- Will I have the opportunity to work with faculty on research projects?
- Has there been a high turnover of faculty within the past five years?
- What types of services are provided for graduate/professional students?
- Where do graduate/professional students typically live?
- How diverse is the student population?
- What graduate/professional student organizations exist in the department and/or on campus?
- Is there any additional support for students with partners, spouses, and/or families?