Finding a Major or a Career
- Assessing Yourself
- Graduate School
- Exploring Careers
- Exploring Majors
- Making Career Decisions
- Putting Decisions Into Actions
- Taking a Year Off
Individual Appointments With a Career Counselor
Career planning can be an overwhelming process, complicated by many factors including self-perceptions, others' expectations, and the economy. The UCS career counselors are trained to listen to your concerns about any aspect of your career development. Career Counselors are available for 60 minute appointments where they will help you:
- Explore majors and/or careers that might be a good fit for you
- Clarify your career/major goals
- Choose a career direction for internships or full-time job search
- Assess your skills, abilities, interests, and priorities
- Locate general and specific career information
- Learn to write effective resumes and cover letters
- Navigate the graduate or professional school process
- Expose obstacles which might hinder your career choices
- Develop decision making sills
- Find answers to your questions
What to Expect From Your Career Counselor
Career counselors are trained to listen to you, help you formulate goals based on your needs, and assist you in finding the best resources to meet those needs. Formal assessments are often used to help you determine a realistic action plan to meet your goals. UCS career counselors are genuinely willing to help.
10 Reasons You Should See a Career Counselor
- You are struggling with choosing a major and need some help narrowing down your options
- You have no idea (or only a fuzzy idea) of what you want to be when you "grow up"
- You would like help with creating and sticking to a career plan while you're at NU
- You are thinking about graduate or law school but are uncertain as to if, when and where you might attend
- You are interested in taking an assessment to help identify your interests, preferences, values, or skills and how they can align with potential career paths
- You are a graduate student thinking about transitioning from academia to industry or leaving your program all together
- You need an unbiased person to listen to your career-related goals, ideas, and concerns
- You are applying to graduate or professional school and you need a second pair of eyes on your application materials
- You need additional information about some occupations and industries you are considering
- You are thinking about shifting academic paths but need to talk it through before actually doing so
One hour appointments with a Career Counselor are available Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
To schedule an appointment, please call 847-491-3700.
While we will make every effort to schedule you as quickly as possible, counselor schedules are heavily booked just before career fairs and during peak recruiting times. Please be sure to plan ahead.
All UCS staff are available on a rotating basis for walk-in appointments. These are 15-minute sessions available on a first-come first-served basis, for the purpose of resume reviews, brief questions, or acquiring general information about UCS services.
Walk-in Times and Locations
- 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday – Main Office, 620 Lincoln Street
- 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Thursday and Friday – UCS Career Lab Main Library, Core Reserves, 2nd Floor