Career Development Information: September 14 - September 21
Preferred Partner Alert: Accenture, Aldi, PwC, Visa
- Resume submissions for jobs and internships from UCS’ Preferred Partners (employers that are part of our Corporate Sponsorship Program) are now open on CareerCat.
- Apply to:
Accenture: Systems integration consulting analyst & technology consulting analyst (IDs: 72114 & 72116)
- Aldi: District manager full-time & internship positions (IDs: 68577 & 68558)
PwC: Technology and management consulting full-time positions (IDs: 68655 & 68654
Visa: New full-time graduate development program (ID: 68576)
- To apply, visit the UCS homepage and scroll down to the purple paw print for the student login link.
- Stay connected with up-to-date employer info (on-campus recruiting, information session times and locations, and more) on:
LinkedIn Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Northwestern-University-Career-Services-1926036/about
- Contact: Meredith Baskies, 847-491-3700, firstname.lastname@example.org
Chicago Campus Graduate Student Career Advising Hours
Dates: Fridays, September 21; October 5, 19; November 2, 30
Location: Abbott Hall, 710 N Lake Shore Drive, Chicago
- UCS holds career advising appointments for Northwestern graduate students enrolled in academic programs on the Chicago Campus. Individual appointments are an hour in length to discuss career-related concerns.
- To schedule a Chicago Campus appointment, please email Kamilah McCoy, UCS Associate Director for Graduate Student Services. In your email include 1) the date you would like to schedule 2) your available times on that date, and 3) issues you would like to discuss during your appointment.
Fall Walk-In Hours
Dates: Tuesday - Friday (starting Thursday, September 27)
Time: 11:00 AM - 2:45 PM
Locations: Tuesday, Wednesday (UCS) 620 Lincoln; Thursday, Friday (LAB) 2N Core, Main Library
- Get your resume/CV/cover letter checked before submitting to employers. A UCS staff member can answer questions regarding your career exploration and plan.
For more information, visit: www.northwestern.edu/careers
LinkedIn Lab Walk-Ins
Dates: Mondays, October 8, 22; November 5, 19; December 3
Time: 11:00 AM – 12:45 PM
Location: LAB, 2N Core, Main Library
- Need help establishing your professional identity on LinkedIn? Walk in to have your profile reviewed and learn how to use LinkedIn to network more effectively.
Internship Info Listserv
- Looking for an internship and want advice sent to your email inbox? Click here to join the InternshipInfo Listserv and click “Subscribe.”
Grad Student Info Listserv
- Interested in job/internship postings and career-related information relevant to NU graduate students? Click here to join the UCSGRADSTUDENTS Listserv and click “Subscribe.”
Share Your Story with University Career Services
- Have you visited University Career Services (UCS) for career counseling or guidance in your internship/job search? UCS is collecting positive student testimonials to use in our marketing materials. Your comments will give Northwestern students and alumni a better understanding of the benefits of UCS services.
- If you would be willing to share your experience with UCS, please complete this brief form on our website.
This Week in UCS Blog Posts
- NU Intern Blogger: Bryan Jewell (interned in the entertainment industry in LA)
- NU Intern Blogger: Zoe Goodman (interned at the Clara Bell Duvall Reproductive Freedom Project at the ACLU of Pennsylvania)
- NU Intern Blogger: Junius Randolph (interned at Big Shoulders Digital Video Productions)
- NU Intern Blogger: Maria Zdunek (interned at National Runaway Switchboard)
- Assistant Director of Internship Services, Betsy Gill: When Your Internship Turns into a Job Offer.
- Want to get blog post updates delivered to your inbox? Subscribe on the left-hand column of the blog.
- Join all of our social media channels for UCS announcements, event and workshop listings, industry trends, career tips and news, and more!
- FB: /NorthwesternUCS
- YouTube: /NorthwesternUCS
- Issuu: /NorthwesternUCS
- Twitter: @NorthwesternUCS
- LinkedIn Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistration?gid=1926036
- Blog: http://northwesternucs.wordpress.com
- Pinterest: /NorthwesternUCS
University Career Services Programs, Events & Opportunities
Backpack to Briefcase
Date: Monday, October 1 – Monday, October 10
- Backpack to Briefcase is a series dedicated to providing graduating students with strategies to succeed in their job search. Workshops, webinars, and industry-related roundtables are scheduled. - - For a detailed list of events, please refer to CareerCat or the UCS website: www.northwestern.edu/careers
- Contact: Larry Jackson, 847-491-3700
Fall 2012 Internship/Job Fair
Date: Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Time: 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Location: Norris University Center, Louis Room
- Meet employers offering internships and/or full-time employment in the private sector. For specific companies/positions, see CareerCat.
- Contact: Dianne Siekmann, 847-491-3700
Mock Case Interviewing Program
Date: Friday, October 5, 2012
Registration: September 10-24 via CareerCat (ID: 72250)
Interview sign-up: September 28
Time: 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM & 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Location: UCS Interview Center, 630 Lincoln Street
- The Mock Case Interview program provides students with the opportunity to practice case interviewing one-on-one with a consultant whose firm is recruiting at Northwestern. Confirmed employers include Accenture, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, LEK Consulting, AT Kearney, Oliver Wyman and ZS Associates. Watch the UCS weekly email for updates on participating employers. This event is for seniors and Master’s students only.
- Please submit your resume through CareerCat starting September 10.
- Contact: Brett Boettcher, 847-491-3700
Mock Interviews: Practice with the Pros
Date: Wednesday, October 10
Registration: Monday, September 24 until spots are filled
Time: 7:00 PM - 9:30 PM
Location: UCS Interview Center, 630 Lincoln Street
- Engage in a practice interview with a Northwestern alum in your field of interest. The event is co-sponsored by the Northwestern Alumni Association. Open only to seniors.
- Sign up via CareerCat starting Monday, September 24. Students are admitted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Contact: Jose Santos, 847-491-3700
Additional Programs, Events & Opportunities
Los Angeles and Boston Japanese-English Bilingual Career Forums
Date: Friday, September 14 & Saturday, September 15 (Los Angeles Career Forum); Monday-Wednesday, October 19-21 (Boston Career Forum)
Time: 9:00 AM
Location: Loews Hollywood Hotel (Los Angeles Career Forum); Boston Convention & Exhibition Center (Boston Career Forum)
- Japanese-English bilinguals seeking a job or internship are invited to DISCO International’s two career forums in Los Angeles and Boston this fall. DISCO International organizes the world's largest job fairs for Japanese-English bilinguals (at minimum conversational level in both Japanese and English). At the forums, companies will hold seminars and interviews at their booths. Registration and attending the event is free.
- For online registration and more information regarding the forums, please go to: the Los Angeles Career Forum page and the Boston Career Forum page.
- Contact: email@example.com
MobiU2012 Summit: Mobile Everything
Date: Monday, September 24
Time: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM (evening mobile networking reception to follow at 6:15 PM)
Location: Microsoft Innovation Center, Aon Center, 200 E. Randolph St., Chicago
- Hear brand trailblazers with experience at marquee companies discuss innovation in the mobile sector and provide insights into the behaviors of the “new” mobile consumer. More than 200 brands, marketers, agency representatives and product managers spanning the B2B and B2C channels from North America are expected to attend. Registration fee required.
- Northwestern students may use the discount code HMC-NU904 for a $40 discount off the $99 fee.
- For more information and registration fees, visit here.
Transatlantic Program - Young Technology Leaders: Healthcare Delivery & Medical Technology
Date: Sunday-Monday, November 11 – 19
Application Deadline: Monday, September 24
- Apply to join the sixth Transatlantic Program - Young Technology Leaders (TAP-YTL) of the German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest (GACCoM). TAP-YTL will offer 12 selected delegation members the chance to participate in an 8-day trip to Germany focused on Healthcare Delivery & Medical Technology.
- For eligibility requirements, more information and application documents, visit here.
- Contact: Erthel Oruma, 312-644-2662
The Boston Consulting Group Presentation: Career Opportunities in the Middle East
Date: Tuesday, September 25
Time: 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Location: BCG’s Chicago Office: 300 N. LaSalle Street, Chicago
- Representatives from the BCG Middle East offices will be hosting a presentation on career opportunities in the Middle East. Come to find out more about the high impact work BCG does in the Middle East and to discuss a career in management consulting.
- To register for the event, visit here.
- For more information about BCG Middle East, visit here.
Georgetown Law School Information Session and Group Interview
Date: Thursday, September 27
Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Interested in applying to Georgetown Law School? Dean of Admissions Andy Cornblatt will be conducting group interviews (only for those applying for fall 2013 admission) and an information session (open to all) in downtown Chicago. Advanced sign up is required.
- To RSVP, visit here.
- Contact: 202-662-901, firstname.lastname@example.org
Second Annual oSTEM Meeting for Career-Oriented LGBT Students and Allies
Date: Friday, September 28
Time: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Location: W Chicago Lakeshore Hotel, 644 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago
- Are you a job-seeking LGBT student or ally interested in the fields of science, technology, engineering or math? Join the Second Annual oSTEM Meeting (Out in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) and attend workshops on career and leadership topics as well as presentations from companies such as the Central Intelligence Agency, IBM, Google and more. Meeting Registration is $35/person and gives entrance to two conferences in Chicago that weekend: oSTEM's 2nd national meeting and the OUT for Work Conference held September 28-30 at the University of Illinois at Chicago campus.
- To register, visit here.
- Contact: email@example.com
UIC Graduate and Professional School Fair
Date: Thursday, October 4, 2012
Time: 3:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Location: 725 W. Roosevelt Road, University of Illinois, Chicago, UIC Forum
- The Chicago Graduate and Professional School Fair is an annual event co-sponsored by 26 Chicago area universities and colleges. Representatives from more than 225 graduate and professional programs throughout the United States will be available to provide information and materials regarding their specific programs. This event is open to the public and admission is free. No pre-registration is required to attend the fair.
- For more information, visit here.
Idealist Grad Fair - Chicago
Date: Thursday, October 11
Time: 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Location: 725 W. Roosevelt Road, University of Illinois, Chicago, UIC Forum
- Prospective graduate school students: Join the Chicago Idealist Grad Fair to connect with graduate schools in fields such as public administration, international affairs, education, public policy, public interest law, social work, nonprofit management, global and public health, theology, environmental science, and socially responsible business. The fair also features workshops on the application process, financial aid, and transitioning back to school. The fairs are free and open to the public. In addition to Chicago, Idealist is bringing the fair to 16 other cities across the country in the fall.
- To RSVP and for more information (including a list of fairs nationwide), visit here.
Biomed Virtual Grad School Fair
Date: Thursday, October 25
- Planning to apply to graduate schools of biomedical sciences? Attend the first Biomed Virtual Grad School Fair and have your admissions questions answered by representatives from more than 15 graduate institutions. The fair is free and open to students and alumni.
- To register and learn more, visit here.
- Contact: Gayle Oliver-Path, 770-980-0088
2012 Asset Management Proud to Be Undergraduate Experience
Date: Friday, November 16, 2012
Registration Deadline: Monday, October 22, 2012
Location: J.P. Morgan Global Headquarters, 270 Park Avenue, New York City, NY
- The Proud to Be Undergraduate Experience is designed to educate top LGBT undergraduate students about J.P. Morgan Private Bank and Investment Management businesses within Asset Management. At this one-day event, you will have the opportunity to meet J.P. Morgan’s business leaders and hear from members of its LGBT community about their experiences in the industry and at the firm.
- To register and for more information and eligibility requirements, visit here.