The NYRA program expands interview opportunities for graduating Seniors who are interested in the Communication fields of advertising, marketing, publishing, public relations, legal assistant or media.
Northwestern University Career Services (UCS) has formed a consortium with the career offices
at Smith College, Mount Holyoke, and University of Virginia to sponsor employment interviews in New York City. The consortium is called the New York Recruiting Alliance (NYRA).
The interviews take place in NYC on Monday, February 25, 2013.
A. What is the NYRA program?
- Provides students an opportunity to interview with communication industry companies in
New York City
- Industries include advertising, marketing, publishing, public relations, legal, media and/or
- These employers typically do not conduct on-campus interviews
- NOTE: Students who have participated with NYRA in a previous year or who are returning for
an additional bachelors degree are not eligible.
How does the program work?
- Approximately 12 to 20 employers will participate
- Employers will be sent resumes (and other requested materials) of students from all four
- Employer will select students from each school to interview in New York city on
February 25, 2013
- Participating students travel to New York at their own expense
Are these interview for full-time positions?
- Most employers are interviewing for open positions
- Some employers use informational interviews because it is difficult for them to predict in
February whether they will actually have vacancies in June
- Many students who have participated have found even the “informational interviews” to
be extremely worthwhile and these contacts have resulted in a job offer at a later date
B. How can students sign up to participate?
- Attend the mandatory Information Session. Students must submit a completed Student Registration Card at the Information Session to be eligible to participate.
- Registration opens December 14th. Register with UCS (CareerCat) prior to signing up to participate with this program.
- Update your student profile to reflect senior status. GRADUATING SENIOR ONLY
• If you do not have an updated account you will not be able to access the NYRA “Jump
- Use your NU e-mail address only to get access.
• For security purposes, you will be sent an email from the NYRA system. Please respond
to verify the email address you are using.
- Have a resume checked during walk-in hours at UCS
- Upload your resume for approval in the NYRA system; approval in the system may take 24-48 business hours
• Do not delete your resume once approved
Need more information? Information session dates
2. How to apply
Registraton opens: December 14th, 2012
Please note: this opportunity is for graduating seniors only!
- Once logged into your CareerCat account, click on the "NYRA" jump feature.
- The employer will specify what documents they want. Submit documents for each position
you are interested in.
- Submit your materials by January 14th (11:59PM EASTERN).
• Do not convert materials to PDF
• Those who wait till the (day) of the deadline may not get into the system.
- Employers will pre-select their interview candidates and alternates.
- NOTE: Students must submit application materials through CareerCat. Only submit materials directly to an employer online if the employer requires online submittal in addition to submitting an application through CareerCat
3. Sign up for Interview(s)
Please do not sign up for an interview if you are not seriously commited to participating in the program.
Reminder: Student travel at their own expense.
- If chosen to interview (Pre-selected), you will be notified by e-mail on Friday February 1st (12:00AM EASTERN).
- Once notified of an interview(s) you will choose your interview time within the NYRA system by placing your name on the employer’s schedule.
- You will need to accept your interview(s) by Monday February 4th (11:59PM EASTERN). If you do not, it will be assumed you are not interested and your interview(s) will go to an alternate.
- If chosen as an Alternate(s) and if there is space available, you will be able to sign up for an interview starting Tuesday, February 5th (12:00AM EASTERN). This is first come first serve.
- Alternates will have until Wednesday, February 6th (11:59PM EASTERN) to accept your interview(s).
4. Confirming Interview(s)
Any student who fails to appear for a scheduled interview without notifying UCS at least two business days in advance will be considered a no-show resulting in the loss of campus interviewing priviledges.
- Sign (the required) Confirmation form that will serve as your contract/commitment to appear for the interview(s) in New York on Monday, February 25, 2013.
- Pick up the day of program Instructions handout from UCS. Instructions will be at the Front Reception Desk
- Participating students travel to New York at their own expense
- If you choose NOT to accept your interview(s), you do not need to do anything. Although, you may want to write a letter of appreciation to the employer(s) explaining that you will not be accepting their interview offer.
5. Location and Cost
The interviews will be conducted at the American Management Association, 1601 Broadway, (between 48th and 49th Streets), in New York City. Interviews will be held between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, February 25, 2013. Students are responsible for their own travel arrangements and costs. Please be forwarned that the nature of these industries, candidates are typically asked to pay their own expenses if invited back to NYC for second round interviews.
2013 New York City Recruiting Day Timeline (All Deadlines are EASTERN TIME)
- December 14: Registration starts
- December 14-January 14, 2013: Review participating employers and submit resumes (and other requested materials) through CareerCat-NYRA jump feature
- January 14 (11:59PM EST): Dealine for materials to be submitted. Before submitting material, remember to update your CareerCat profile to reflect your senior status.
- February 1: Interview sign up starts. Pre-selected candidates will be notified by email if chosen.
- February 4 (11:59PM EST): Deadline to sign up for interview(s). Pre-selected candidates confirm interview(s) by placing yourself on the interview schedule.
- February 5: Alternate sign up starts. Candidates will be notified of interviews, if space is available.
- February 6 (11:59PM EST): Alternate sign up ends.
- February 25: Interviews are held in NYC at the American Management Association, 1601 Broadway, between 48th and 49th St., in Manhattan. Interviews are held between 8:00AM - 5:00PM.
Information sessions will be held at UCS to answer any and all questions you may have about the program.
Information session: TBA
Where and when are interviews?
- American Management Association, 1601 Broadway, (between 48th and 49th Streets), in New York City. Interviews will be held between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, February 27, 2012. Students are responsible for their own travel arrangements and costs.
What if I change my mind about participating after submitting my resume?
Please do not submit your resume if you are not seriously committed to participating in the program. Any student who does not appear for a scheduled interview in New York City on February 25th without notifying UCS (620 Lincoln Street) at least two business days in advance will be considered a no-show resulting in the loss of campus interviewing privileges.
- Additional Questions?