Hire a Wildcat

UCS serves all students and alumni of Northwestern University, so when it comes time for your organization to Hire a Wildcat- look to UCS for advice and resources.

Hiring Northwestern Undergraduate Students

Northwestern undergraduate students are anxious to get work experience through internships, short term projects and of course full-time entry level positions. Whether you decide to participate in on campus recruiting or to simply post your openings on CareerCat, please be in touch with our Recruiting Team to meet your hiring needs.

Hiring Northwestern Graduate Students

There are approximately 3,000 PhD students and 800 Master's students enrolled at Northwestern who are prepared for a broad range of academic and non-academic career options.  Graduate students participate in our career fairs, attend employer information sessions, and search for jobs/internships using CareerCat.  Successful approaches for recruiting undergraduates may differ when recruiting advanced degree candidates.  UCS can assist you in developing a strategy to recruit Northwestern graduate students, including connecting to academic departments and marketing opportunities to students from particular areas of study.

Hiring Northwestern Alumni

If you are looking to fill entry level to experienced positions at your organization UCS can help connect with Northwestern University Alumni through CareerCat.

Hiring Northwestern Diversity

Northwestern University recognizes, supports and is deeply committed to a broad inclusion on its campus. We have many offices, programs, and student organizations that help foster and carry out this commitment. Diversity encompasses age, disability, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, and more. If you are seeking more information about hiring diverse candidates, please contact Jose Santos, Assistant Director, Liberal Arts and Diversity Outreach Coordinator.

Hiring International Students

There are close to 3,000 international students at Northwestern University and they are often strong candidates for internship and full-time work opportunities in the U.S. Getting permission for international students to work in the U.S. is not as difficult as many employers think. Most international students are in the U.S. on non-immigrant student visas (F-1 and J-1), and these international students are eligible to accept employment under certain conditions.

Practical training for F-1 students

Practical training is a legal means by which F-1 students can obtain employment in areas related to their academic field of study. Students, in general, must have completed one academic year in F-1 status and must maintain their F-1 status to be eligible for practical training. There are two types of practical training:

  • Optional Practical Training
  • Curricular Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) must be authorized by the Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) based on a recommendation from the designated school official.  The term "optional" means that students can opt to use all or part of their total practical training allotment of a maximum of 12 months. OPT can be authorized by the CIS: (1) during vacation when school is not in session- full time employment is allowed; (2) for part-time work, a maximum of 20 hours per week, while school is in session;(3) after completing all course requirements for the degree; or (4) full-time after completion of the course of study.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) may be authorized by the institution (Not by CIS) for F-1 students participating in curricular-related employment such as cooperative education, work study, practicum and internship programs. International students on F-1 visas are eligible for both curricular practical training before finishing their studies, as well as 12 months of OPT. However, students who work full-time on curricular practical training for one year or more are not eligible for OPT. Those engaging in OPT prior to graduation may work for a maximum of 20 hours per week during their school term and 40 hours during their break period.

Academic training for J-1 students

Exchange students enter the U.S. on a J-1 visa. Practical training is called "academic training" for J-1 visa students. International students on J-1 visas are eligible for up to 18 months of academic training. Post-doctoral students are permitted three years. Some J-1 program participants are also allowed to work part-time during the academic program.

What is the cost and paperwork for the employers?

The only cost to the employer hiring international students is the time and effort to interview and select the best candidate for the job. Fortunately, there is minimal paperwork for an employer who hires F-1 or J-1 students for OPT, CPT, or academic training. All paperwork is handled by the students, the school, and CIS.

What about taxes?

Unless exempted by a tax treaty, F-1 and J-1 students earning income under practical training are subject to applicable, federal, state, and local income taxes.

Don't international students need work authorization before I can hire them?

No. International students must have the work authorization before they begin actual employment, but not before they are offered employment.

H1-B Visa

The H-1B visa is a temporary employment status that allows an employer to employ a foreign worker in a specialty occupation in the U.S. Keep in mind the following:

  • The employer must file the H-1B petition on behalf of the student.
  • The employer determines the length of the H-1B status.
  • The employer may petition up to six-months in advance of the intended start date.

Current immigration regulation limits the number of H-1B  visas available each year. Applications for positions in private industry become available on April 1 each year, and if awarded, H-1B status becomes effective October 1 of the same year.

For more information visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.