Interfolio File Services
Welcome to Interfolio!
We at University Career Services understand that managing, storing and distributing your letters of recommendation and other credentials for postgraduate study or teaching positions can seem like a daunting task. We are pleased to announce that we have partnered with Interfolio, the premier online credential file management service for colleges and universities.
- About Interfolio
- Benefits of using Interfolio
- Getting Started
- Information for Letter Writers
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to contact Interfolio:
Interfolio improves productivity throughout the scholarly lifecycle through services for undergraduate and graduate students, faculty members and researchers, and academic administrators, whether by managing academic credentials with our Dossier & Portfolio products, writing and requesting letters through our Letter Writer product, or evaluating and selecting candidates through our ByCommittee decision-making platform.
Founded in 1999 by CEO Steve Goldenberg—then a Georgetown University student working in the career center—Interfolio was created to offer students a better way to promote their academic and professional achievements. That vision—and an award winning student business plan—evolved into Interfolio’s Dossier & Portfolio and Letter Writer services.
Built with faculty in mind, Interfolio launched ByCommittee in 2012. ByCommittee is a decision-making platform that provides committees with an online collaborative review and evaluation tool as well as a mechanism for secure and confidential communication with applicants. Designed to increase committee efficiency, ByCommittee also increases administrative compliance in hiring and other selection efforts.
- Helps more than 600,000 scholars manage their credentials
- Secures over 1 million confidential letters of recommendation
- Safely stores and has delivered more than 5 million documents
- 24/7 Access: Our system is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from anywhere in the world so you can manage your job search when and where you want. You also have a team of dedicated Customer Experience Professionals, who pride themselves on making your application process as efficient and successful as possible.
- University Branding: Select your University when you sign up with Interfolio and the cover page of your delivery will be personalized with the University name or logo.
- Easy Storage for a variety of documents: Your account can be used not only for letters of recommendation, but also for CV's, writing samples, research, dissertation abstracts, teacher evaluations, student and peer evaluations, transcripts and other documents.
- Single package delivery: Interfolio allows you to send all chosen documents in one very professional-looking package.
- Targeted, customized deliveries: You can specify the order in which your materials are packaged so your presentation is powerful, persuasive and professional.
- Self-managed files: With Interfolio, you finally have control of all your credentials, including letters of recommendation that remain confidential. You can easily request new reference letters to add to your file, and you can choose exactly which ones you would like sent to each address.
- Super-fast delivery: We send every delivery within one business day of your request. If you need to meet a deadline, we can send express deliveries the same day (as long as you make the request by 2 PM EST). We also provide electronic deliveries!
Interfolio Letters of Recommendation & Dossier Service is an easy way to manage letters of recommendation. Request letters of recommendation, store documents online and deliver to any institution as electronic or hard copy.
Sign up for an Interfolio account at www.interfolio.com
Use the Interfolio Dashboard in your account to:
- Request Letters of Recommendation
- Upload Documents
- Schedule a Delivery
- Manage your Portfolio
For University graduates with existing files at Northwestern University Career Services: If you currently have a file at Northwestern University Career Services, you will first need to set up a file with Interfolio. Once you've established a file with Interfolio, simply email University Career Services at email@example.com and let them know you've created a file. They will upload your existing letters to your account.
Application season can leave recommenders with piles of letters to write, all going to different institutions and application systems. Dossier users can take the pressure off their writers by requesting letters be submitted to Interfolio, in either electronic or paper form. We will take it from there, maintaining confidentiality, sending copies to any delivery destination, and meeting applicant deadlines. The most widely used and trusted confidential letter of recommendation service, Interfolio offers a secure and efficient way to submit and manage your recommendations for students and colleagues.
- Letter submission and management is FREE. Always.
- Every letter goes through our quality assurance process, while maintaining letter confidentiality.
- Upload your own digital file or send us paper copies.
How to submit a letter of recommendation:
- Create a Letter Writer account with Interfolio so you can upload your letters electronically.
- Upload your letter.
- Check to make sure the letter uploaded properly.
- That's it! The person for whom you wrote the letter will be able to use your letter as soon as it is uploaded.
How do I create an account with Interfolio?
To create an Interfolio account, navigate to Interfolio.com. Click on the “Sign Up” option.
What if I have already established a file with University Career Services?
If you currently have a file at Northwestern University Career Services, you will first need to set up a file with Interfolio. Once you've established a file with Interfolio, simply email University Career Services at firstname.lastname@example.org and let them know you've created a file. They will upload your existing letters to your account.
How do I contact University Career Services regarding transferring my file to Interfolio?
You may contact University Career Services regarding your file by emailing email@example.com or call (847)467-7534.
How do I request new letters of recommendation?
Go to the Interfolio Dashboard in your account, click Request a Letter.
How do my transcripts get placed into my file?
Visit the Northwestern University Registrar webpage and follow their prompts. Please note: Before you have a transcript sent from the registrar’s office to Interfolio, be sure to create a new slot for the transcript so Interfolio will know where to put it!
My letter writer didn't receive my letter request. Can I resend it?
Absolutely - but first, it's recommended that your letter writer check their “spam” folder - occasionally the letter request email will be detected as spam.
I want to request more than 1 custom letter from the same writer. How can I do this?
If you wish to have the same writer upload multiple versions of letters for you, you should create a separate request for each letter. If you’re requesting confidential letters, be sure to use one of these methods to help you differentiate between the letters (since you cannot view them once they're uploaded). Use a unique document title for each letter. The document title is visible to receiving institutions and is visible to you during delivery creation, allowing you to easily distinguish between the two letters, as long as you don't mind sharing the unique document title with receiver of the letter. For example, one letter could be titled “Recommendation from Dr. Max for Med School”, and the other “Recommendation from Dr. Max for Fellowships.” Keep in mind, these titles will appear on your delivery coversheet.
Can I read my confidential letters?
No. If you requested a confidential letter, you’ve waived your rights to view the letter and therefore cannot access it under any circumstances. We will notify you as soon as a new letter of recommendation is received in your account. While you can see basic information (document size), you will not be able to view its contents. In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, Interfolio maintains the confidentiality of all closed letters of recommendation our file holders store with us. Interfolio follows strict guidelines for receiving and mailing all closed letters of recommendation to ensure that confidential documents stay that way.
Can I upload my own copy of a letter of recommendation?
Interfolio reserves the Confidential Letter of Recommendation and Non-Confidential Letter of Recommendation document types for letters submitted to Interfolio by the letter writer. If you have a copy of a letter of recommendation and wish to add it to your account, you can upload it as a non-confidential document, using the document type Other Document. Check out our help article "Adding Documents to your Account" for information about uploading your own documents.
Can I switch a confidential letter to non-confidential?
In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, Interfolio cannot release the contents of confidential documents to our members.
What are the costs associated with opening a file with Interfolio?
Visit Interfolio for fee information. Account fees include unlimited scanning and upload of paper documents, 250MB of file storage space on our servers, and access to our fantastic customer support team.
What are the delivery fees associated with Interfolio?
Visit Interfolio for a breakdown of their vast delivery options.
Where do I go if I need technical assistance with Interfolio?
If you experience any technical difficulties, visit the Interfolio Help Desk or email firstname.lastname@example.org.