Northwestern offers faculty and staff discounted rates and insurance benefits through National Car Rental and Enterprise Rent-A-Car for business and personal use. Eligibility requirements are listed below. Note: students are not eligible to use these rates for personal use.
Book a Car with National or Enterprise
Please visit the National and Enterprise Car Rentals page for information on how to take advantage of Northwestern's discounted rates, insurance benefits, and how to join the Emerald Club, National's frequent customer program.
Eligibility Requirements to Use Northwestern Discounts:
- Must be 21 years old or older unless specifically authorized (see undergraduate student bullet below)
- Faculty, staff, and retirees are eligible for the Northwestern discount for business or personal use
- Spouses and children (living in the same household) of faculty, staff, and retirees are eligible for the Northwestern discount
- Consultants and contractors whose expenses are reimbursed or otherwise paid by Northwestern are eligible for the Northwestern discount
- Graduate students are eligible for the Northwestern discount ONLY when travel is paid for by Northwestern. Graduate students must provide a letter on official Northwestern stationery signed by the graduate student's supervisor stating that the purpose of the rental is business-related.
- Undergraduate students 18 or older may be eligible for the Northwestern discount when travel is business-related and paid for by Northwestern. Note: undergraduate students must go through additional screening and fulfill additional requirements to rent commercial vehicles. Please see Risk Management's Approved Drivers and Safe Driver Program page for more information.
- All renters seeking these discounted rates may be asked to show a valid Wildcard
Other Car Rental Options
Northwestern travelers are encouraged to book rental cars through National and Enterprise whenever possible. Northwestern's three contracted Travel Agencies may also offer discounted rates through other rental car companies. Note: these rates may not have the same insurance/accident benefits as Northwestern does through National and Enterprise.
Zipcar and Enterprise CarShare (formerly IGO) car sharing services provide the convenience, affordability, and reliability of transportation without owning a car. Learn more on Transportation & Parking's Commuter Options page.
Car Rental Insurance and Policies
For more information on car rental insurance and accidents involving a rental car, please visit Office of Risk Management's Automobile Insurance page. Note: documents, including proof of insurance, are typically found in the glove compartment of cars, but please confirm with rental company employees before leaving the location.
For information on rental car policies see the Transportation section, item (d) Commercial Rental Vehicles (page 15), in Northwestern's Travel, Entertainment & Courtesy policy.