HHS PMS Award Closeout
In pursuit of strengthened fiscal oversight, all Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) operating divisions including the National Institutes of Health (NIH) began issuing all new awards after 9/1/13 with more stringent closeout requirements.
- Impact at Northwestern
- For new NIH grants (all issued as subaccounts since 9/1/13), NU will not have access to draw funds 90 days after the award end date.
- All trailing expenses must be posted in the financial system early, 30-45 days after the end date, to allow time for ASRSP review and draw.
- Individual award expenditure rates will be monitored by agencies. Expenses must be posted in a timely manner throughout the award lifecycle.
- Certify Effort and reconcile with payroll/salary plan timely to prevent late cost transfers (journals).
- Timely budget reconciliation will be very important to avoid a potential loss of funding.
- Communication with Grant and Contract Financial Administrator regarding closeout will be key to successful close out.