Counseling and Other Resources

There are many resources available if you're struggling with substance abuse or addiction – both your own or that of a friend or loved one. If you have any questions about the services below, contact us.


CAPS (Counseling and Psychological Services) provides counseling, workshops and outreach programs to individuals and groups at Northwestern. The CAPS staff consists of highly qualified and experienced mental health professionals who help students work through emotional difficulties, adjustments and crises.

CAPS can help with any concerns you may have about your own alcohol and other drug use, or that of a friend or family member.

To schedule an appointment with a CAPS staff member on either the Chicago or Evanston campus, call: (847)491-2151 Mon–Fri, 8:30am - 5:00pm.

Other Campus Resources

Self-Help Groups

Self-help groups allow people with a common problem or situation to come together for mutual understanding and support and to share information and ideas for coping. In general, self-help groups are free, voluntary, anonymous, informal and facilitated by a lay person.


Hazelden, a part of the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation, has been saving lives and restoring families from substance abuse and addiction for more than 60 years. With outpatient and residential programs in Minnesota, Oregon, California, Florida, New York and Illinois, we offer every patient the best chance of lifelong recovery.

Contact: 1-800-257-7810

Other Community Resources

  • Chapman Center at Evanston Hospital (847) 570-4633 for questions; (847)570-2500 to schedule an appointment
    Provides assessment and outpatient treatment for adults struggling with alcohol and other drug abuse and addiction.
  • PEER Services, Inc. (847) 492-1778
    Offers alcohol and other drug prevention, assessment and treatment services for teens and young adults.
  • Go Ask Alice!
    Real questions about alcohol and other drugs answered honestly and informatively by the Alice! Health Promotion Program at Columbia University.
  • Illinois Tobacco Quit Line (847) 784-8937
    Free phone service staffed by nurses, respiratory therapists and addiction counselors of the American Lung Association who are trained to help people quit tobacco.
  • National Institute on Drug Abuse
    National Alcohol and Other Drug Referral Helpline (800) 234-0286