Like other universities, Northwestern is concerned about the consequences of high-risk drinking and other drug use including poor academic performance, sexual assault, injury and law enforcement penalties.
The Campus Coalition on Alcohol & Other Drugs was developed to create a university-wide plan to address this behavior. The Coalition, together with Northwestern University Health Promotion and Wellness, aims to create a campus environment that supports students in making responsible decisions.
This site provides Northwestern students, parents, faculty, staff and neighbors a centralized 'hub' for information, policies, programs and services.
About the Coalition
Northwestern University's Campus Coalition on Alcohol and Other Drugs was developed to address harm experienced or caused by students when alcohol or other substances are involved.
With a focus on high-risk drinking (or drinking to get drunk), the Coalition leads a variety of evidence-based efforts to raise awareness about substance use issues, discredit the belief that heavy drinking is 'just a part of college,' and encourage students to make decisions that support the well-being of our community.
The Coalition reviews their plan biennially to determine effectiveness, implement changes and ensure the policies developed are consistently enforced.
Members include representatives from:
- Associated Student Government
- Center for Student Involvement
- Counseling and Psychological Services
- Department of Athletics and Recreation
- Department of Family and Community Medicine
- Health Promotion and Wellness, University Health Service
- Interfraternity Council
- Multicultural Student Affairs
- Office of Change Management
- Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life
- Pan Hellenic Council
- Residence Hall Association
- Residential College Board
- Student Conduct & Conflict Resolution
- Study Abroad Office
- University Police
- University Residential Life
- Women's Center
The Coalition enjoys broad representation from across the university. If you are interested in joining our efforts, please contact us.
As per federal requirement, this pdf, Policy on Drugs and Alcohol 2012-13, contains links to university policies and resources concerning the use of alcohol and other drugs.
Please check out the Sitemap to see all sections of our website.