Once Your File is Set Up
Once Your File Has Been Set Up
1. Submit Your Signed Documents to the Rec-File Office
2. Information Packet Sent to Recommenders
3. Checking on the Status of Your File
4. Once Your File is Complete
5. Sending Your Letter Packet to Schools
The Rec-File Office will email you confirming that your file has been set up and requesting the following documents:
- A copy of your information packet cover page for you to sign, acknowledging that you waive your rights to view your letters.
- A Statement of Understanding form for you to sign, notifying you of potential action against falsification and/or misrepresentation of any information relating to your file.
After your documents are signed and returned to the Rec-File Office, your Information Packet will be emailed to the recommenders you listed and your file will be considered “active.”
The Information Packet contains:
- Personal Information Cover Sheet
- Essay (if provided)
- Resume (if provided)
- Evaluation Form: The recommender will rate you on characteristics such as intellectual ability, persistence, originality and emotional stability
Once your file is active, it is your responsibility to check on the status of your file.
Ways to check the status of your file:
- Current students or recent graduates with active NetIDs:
- Once your request to open your file has been processed by our office, you will receive an email from Canvas notifying you of your inclusion in a new course.
- Log on to the Canvas Learning Management System using your current NU NetID and password.
- Under "My Courses", you should see a course entitled "Applying to Medical/Dental School"; click on this course link.
- On the course home page, click on "Grades" in the left hand column. The status of your recommendation letters will be listed here and the name of the recommender is visible by clicking the comments speech bubble to the right.
- A blank space means a letter has not been received, and “Partially Received” means the recommender is missing one or more of the following: official letterhead, signature and/or evaluation form. The UAAC will always immediately notify a recommender during processing if any materials are missing.
- Please allow 5 to 7 business days for letters and materials to be received and processed. Also note that any letters submitted through regular or campus mail may take up to 5 business days to reach the Rec File office.
- NU Alumni or students without an active NU NetID: you may send an email to the recommendation file service office at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about the status of your file.
It is the responsibility of the student to provide a reminder to recommenders if their letter has not yet been submitted based on the deadline agreed upon. The Rec File office will not contact recommenders to remind them about outstanding letters.
- Once the Rec-File Office has received all of your letters, you will be sent an email informing you that your file is complete, including a link to our online instructions for sending the letter packet to your schools.
- Carefully review the Instructions for Sending Your Letter Packet to Schools before completing the online Release of Letter Packet to Schools form.
Your letter packet will only be sent after the following series of steps have been completed:
- All letters have been submitted by your recommenders.
- The Rec-File Office has confirmed with you via e-mail that your file is complete.
- Your one-time $35 processing fee has been remitted to our office.
- You have submitted your primary application to AMCAS (for MD applicants).
- You have submitted the Release of Letter Packet to Schools form.
Please allow up to seven business days for your letter packet transmission request to be fulfilled. A confirmation e-mail will be sent when your request has been completed.
Students should allow up to 4-6 weeks for schools to download/receive and process the packet. Medical schools receive a heavy volume of materials and recommendations cannot always be logged in immediately.